Sunday, November 06, 2005

Why I Love My Job


The other day we transported preemie twins back home to Ft. Collins after they had spent the first 91 days of life at the University Hospital NICU. They were teenie boys - about 3 pounds each, but man were they cute! While waiting for the nurse to finish paperwork I got to feed the smaller of the two and my medic snapped this picture on my phone for our work scrapbook. I'm always amazed at how easy things like this come to me. Changing diapers, giving bottles, comforting little ones - maybe it has something to do with all the babysitting I've done over the years, but I've come to realize that I'm pretty good with kids. My co-worker at the hospital calls me the "Pedi Queen" partly because I always end up in peds when I work the mid shift, and partly because kids respond to me. See Mom, I knew there was a reason that I never wanted to grow up!


Anyway, the twins did pretty well on the hour long trip up North. They both have pretty significant lung problems just from being born so early - they were born at 24 weeks and normal is 40! The little one decided to drop his oxygen saturation so I flicked his feet to wake him up. He pinked up and then he pooped for me, so I guess he was feeling fine! Then the other one decided that we weren't giving him enough attention, so he dropped his sats and I had to suction him and wake him up a little. Sounds scary, but all things to expect when babies are born so early.

These pictures alone remind me why it is I do what I do.

2 comments:

Gayle and Rob said...

Aw, such cute babies - are they ready to go home yet? I couldn't imagine a mom feeling comfortable caring for such little ones.

Anonymous said...

Never wanted to grow up??? And why do you think I lasted for 33 years and counting in the fifth grade? It's in your genes, girl!