Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Parents for Hire!

Although it appears that I used and abused Mom and Dad on their trip out to Denver, it really wasn't that bad. My friend said they should charge for all their hard work, but luckily Dad said it was his pleasure to help out with my house projects!

And help out they did! We started last Tuesday by going to Lowe's and picking out all the flooring and padding and trim we would need for the new floors in the hallway, kitchen and family room. While we were out Mom offered to mow my very bushy lawn. It looked great when we got back - yea Mom!

DSC00666

Then Dad and I spent the rest of the day pulling out all the old carpet, leveling the floors and laying the padding. The next morning we got up bright and early to start laying the floor. Meanwhile, in the dungeon of the basement, Mom was busy covering the cushions on the couch a friend gave me and sewing new curtains for the kitchen and family room. I lucked out with some on-sale fabric and a pretty talented seamstress for a mother.

DSC00664

DSC00668

DSC00672

By Friday we had it all done and I am so crazy about the results! Jake and Megan came over for dinner and baby Joshua got some "Grandma and Grandpa" time. Whew! All that work really paid off - it looks amazing!

DSC00677


But it wasn't all work. We went to see Pirates on Tuesday, spent all day Saturday doing nothing except watching movies and then went out for dinner Saturday night.
Nice one, Dad.

DSC00680

Sunday morning we went to church and then headed up to Estes Park for a mini-Bosscher reunion with Uncle Dave and Aunt Rose, Michelle, Kathy and Deb. I can't remember the last time I've seen some of those aunties, but it was great to catch up!

DSC00706

We hiked about 5 miles up around Fern Lake and talked and talked and talked... Michelle and I introduced the rest of the family to our tradition of the Question Game while on hikes. This time it involved super powers - apparently Mom would like to go back and change the past while Aunt Kathy would like to be telepathic and know what her teachers really thought of her. On second thought...

DSC00717

The old folks didn't do too bad, despite the heat and altitude - we finished the hike in less than 3 hours. Yea Bosschers!

DSC00707

DSC00699

Back and the Daining's cabin we grilled burgers and talked some more. And of course there was chocolate. It isn't really a Bosscher get-together without lots of the dark sweet stuff. The best part was Dad and Uncle Dave photographing the table full of chocolate!

DSC00731

DSC00732

Then it was back to the city and to bed. Mom and Dad left Monday morning and I headed out to help some friends move. It was a great trip, but much too short. I realize how blessed I am to have the kind of relationship with my parents where a week is neither too long, nor a challenge for any of us. Can't wait for the next one!

2 comments:

bob said...

Looks great!! I can't wait to get out to your side of the country sometime and see the new house! And it looks like you had a blast with the relations... Hope your summer is not too hot!

Katie said...

Hooray! I was getting antsy for some pictures! It looks great, Beth. Someday we'll get out there. Just not soon - jr. boy can't handle a trip that long right now. We're looking forward to seeing you in less than a month!