Monday, October 10, 2005

Ahhh...Winter

As predicted, Denver received a nice batch of freshly made snow last night. And it's still coming down! It always seems amazing to me how it can be 80 degrees one week, barely Autumn and 60 degrees the next week, and then snowing and 30 degrees.

It's pretty much been snowing all day. And it's a wet, heavy snow. There are a lot of trees with branches bent to the ground under the weight and lots of branches in the road that have broken off.

And of course when the weather goes bad so does the health of a lot of people. I haven't quite figured out why that is, but I think it has something to do with O'Toole. Most people follow Murphy's Law, but the medical community has their own special one - O'Toole's Law. Basically O'Toole says that Murphy was an optimist. If something can go wrong, it will. And if more than one thing can go wrong at once, you'd better count on it.

Anyway, today O'Toole was out in full force, probably in cohorts with Jack Frost. I went in to work at noon and got my butt kicked until nine o'clock tonight. 2 cardiac alerts, 2 stroke alerts, 3 GI bleeds, 3 pregnant traumas, 1 delivery, 1 bravo trauma, 1 alpha trauma, 2 PE's, and a trauma CORE. Wow. Lots of running in the ER today!

But by 9:00 we pretty much had things settled down and they let me go home early. Whew! But I feel bad for the night shift, because when the roads freeze it's going to start all over again...



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drive safe Beth, and keep warm... No snow here, but it sure is grey and chilly. Hope you can get some rest after all that running around!
-- Bob

MLE said...

Hey! Snow! Yeah! I personally would love some myself some time soon--but I'm just happy that it has cooled down finally! I do enjoy the pictures though!

Gayle and Rob said...

Loved the snow --I know it's not nice to love what brings others pain and trouble, but I still love winter snow and all that goes with it. Sure, Florida's fine and warm is nice, but snow is still part of that yearly cycle and I miss the seasons, whatever they bring.

Katie said...

Wow. Good thing you caught a day of fall on your hike! Just skip right over and into WINTER.