Monday, April 30, 2007

The Smell of Earth

Two weeks ago I started planting some Boxwood shrubs along the south fence of my backyard. I bought some for the north fence, too, but the blizzard last week derailed the plan to plant them for a couple days! Today's 80 degree weather, however, was quite conducive to yard work. Plus, all the moisture in the ground from the melted snow made digging holes in the clay that is my backyard much easier!

Now no laughing, I know they're little. They were actually on sale at Home Depot and will eventually grow to 3 feet high, which will be a nice hedge along both fences. Plus, it'll be cool to watch the house and yard change with time. I know I'm not going anywhere...


And what a great day today was! I got off work this morning - we all got our butts kicked last night. 1 ATV fatality, 3 stabbings and 2 gun shot wounds. And that was just in trauma! The rest of us (I was in peds) spent all night trying to empty the ever-refilling waiting room. Anyway, I got home and slept for a couple hours and then planted all 8 shrubs on the north side. I even got the lawn mowed and the garage cleaned out.

I've decided that my favorite smell of all time is earth. Especially after rain. And I really got to inhale deeply while digging all those holes. There just nothing as natural as nature.

2 comments:

Gayle and Rob said...

Ahh, you are my daughter! Nothing quite like the smell of dirt in the spring. Boxwood grows slowly; good thing you'll be there for a while. If it's heavy clay, did you mix some black dirt or peat in with the clay before you planted the shrubs? I wished I had done that with the fruit trees I planted in Iowa...lost the pear tree b/c its roots stayed too wet.

MLE said...

That will look really nice when they grow--block out a bit more of your neighbor's yard! I wish I had land to plant things in...