Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Return of the Iowa Farmgirl

As the transformation of my house and yard continues, the number of helpers I recruit increases!

Thursday I had 2 friends, Ryan and Mike, come over to help me prep my yard for a real lawn.

We tilled the clay that was the backyard, and hauled about 4 tons of dirt from the driveway to the back. Backbreaking work, but well worth it!

Mike was very impressed that I not only knew how to use a big machine like the tiller, but that I had the guts to actually get behind it and work! I guess that's part of the lessons I learned on the farm, right Dad?

Then this morning I had 3 friends help me lay the sod.

Noah, Justin, Ryan (he came back for more torture!) and I put down all 1,400 square feet of beautiful Kentucky Bluegrass sod in about 4 hours! Their cheap labor was definitely worth the pizza I bought them for lunch.


The end result was something I've waited for ever since the snow melted and I realized I had a giant sandbox behind my house! Great green grass! And we fixed all the sprinklers so that I'm not watering my neighbor's lawn. It was a lot of work, but we had a good time. I think now I'm expected to have a BBQ or something...

6 comments:

bob said...

WOW! looks really great Bee!
glad you had fun doing it too!

Katie said...

Very nice! Looks like a place a nephew could run around in some day.

Why do all the yards have a ring-o-rocks?

B said...

The "ring-o-rocks" are required because to put all grass in would require too much water. And considering that we live in a desert, less water usage is good! Eventually I'll have bushes in the rings for a little more separation from the neighbors, but for now I'm just thrilled with the grass!

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth - great job on the yard...now just wait til you get to mow it! That's what I did today...ugh. :)

Gayle and Rob said...

It's beautiful Beth - I can't wait to see the view from that back fence.

MLE said...

Loverly! And seeing sun would be so nice after all the days of rain we've had around here!